Saturday, January 13, 2007

Ice and Snow

The weatherman was right and accurately predicted our now-present and enduring winter storm. Sigh. Actually, it's quite beautiful, but it has the effect of instituting house arrest. Not my favorite thing right now.

Last night after work I did indeed brave the weather, despite parental protests. The roads were covered with sleet and it just kept coming down, it was 15 F and my windshield kept freezing, and furthermore the lines on the roads were not visible due to the build up. And yet. I couldn't take being at home (with the parental units splitting up, home has not been so "homey" lately). So I took Dad's huge truck and put it in 4-wheel drive and slowly crept my way across town. It was the first time at 8 on a Friday night that I've seen Ward Parkway completely deserted. Except for Kate in the Big Ass Truck, of course. Monica was surprised I ventured out. It was an act of desperation. Ok, maybe that's too dramatic, but still.

We then proceded to have a nice evening, and this morning she had class. Only they canceled it quite late, and she was already there and I had already gone home. I would have gone back to her place, but Phase Two of the sleet started and hasn't really stopped since. So my senses got the better of me and I'm stranded at home.

On another note, one of my profs for the semester emailed an early warning. My ethics class with be a combined undergrad and grad class, oh joy (pls note heavy sarcasm), and he has assigned us grads an additionaly ten books to read. On top of the regular readings. He warned that if we think it will be too much, get out now. Lol. Great. So I ordered them from Amazon. I think I will soon be a reading fool. This semester looks to be quite challenging. How badly do I want that degree.....jk.

Thursday it was 60 F and I had a lovely walk. Now it is ice central out there. Thank goodness for fires. And internet.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Be careful driving and don't get too cold. It's been unusually cold here too, there has been ice on the pool deck since last thursday which is crazy for california.

Anonymous said...

you guys are all crazy! All those fahrenheit numbers make no sense to me but my bosy doesn't comprehend sub-zero (celcius) temperatures anyway, so to my ears, all I hear is COLD! rug up, have a nice cup of cocoa, and rent a movie!

Kate C