Thursday, April 15, 2010

Granada





I love this walk by the river in between the two hills. And jumping out of the way for traffic!





















View of Albaicin and Mirador San Nicolas from Alhambra.







Inside the Alhambra.




View from our hotel room of the old center of Granada.





Greenery! Something I rarely see in Seville!







Do buses really drive there? Oh yes, they do!




Me and Alhambra.


Dad and I did Granada last weekend. We took the train across Andalucia and then walked and walked and walked for days until our feet were aching! There are two main hills (large hills!) in Granada, with tons of greenery! The Albaicin (old white city and Muslim area) with ancient stone roads and walls and a great lookout where you can see for miles and miles (Mirador San Nicolas). The Alhambra is the HUGE fortress, palances and gardens perched atop the other hill. We did that half the day Saturday. Amazing. Also in Granada when you order a drink you get free tapas and they are good! Ohhhh free tapas! I could eat my way through Granada, and had I had more time, I would have. The Spanish call it "el tapeo" or "tapear" to tapa oneself through town. If I ever go back, I'm definitely doing that. Though Dad and I gave it a go!
Overall I loved Granada. Beautiful, tons of history and gorgeous sites, tons of students and tourists (dang a lot!), buses plodding through streets you'd never guess they could drive on, and definitely a different atmosphere from Seville. If only it were closer!
Dad and I had planned to hit Ronda this weekend, but it looks like we will be relaxing in Seville instead. It's Dad's last weekend here, so maybe we'll go back to the Alcazar.
In other news, I am coming home just a bit earlier than planned. Either very late May or early June. Yay!
Things in Spain are good. :)

No comments: