Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Eating Snails

So my intercambio, Juan, has been suggesting I try snails before I leave, b/c the people here love it and he can't believe I'd not eaten them yet. Bueno, last night after work I got adventurous and we went to an old bar near Feria that had old walls filled with pictures of Jesus, Mary, and the bull fighters of Seville. And two really, really big bull heads. With red, angry eyes. Scary.

We got beers and asked the man for snails. He went to the back and filled a bowl with snail juice and snails, complete in their little shells. He wrote down our running tab with chalk on the bar counter and handed me the animals. Then Juan showed me how to eat them, head and antenae first. You suck the whole thing out of the shell, unless it's stuck inside. If it's inside you can use a toothpick, but only the foreigners do that, so I was not allowed to use them. Instead, he showed me how you make a small hole with your tooth and then loudly suck out the small, squishy animal. I was not good at this part. I was a little embarrassed by the loud noises and still could not get that tricky thing out of the shell! I wish I had taken a picture. Dad, you would have been seriously grossed out.

It was quite the adventure.

Three days and counting. I bought a small duffel today b/c I don't think everything will fit in my big bag. I've yet to do a trial run of packing, but think I might today. Maybe.

Tomorrow night I'm having a going away drinks party on the 'meda. Thursday I'm not working, just finishing up getting everything together before I come home Friday!!! Good times in Seville. :)

No comments: