Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Being chased by the garbage man

This morning I committed a faux pas, apparently. I dropped off our garbage in a public bin in the square (Alameda) b/c we don't have cans b/c there's tons of road work, etc. As I walked away this man from the city started chasing me in his car, honking and yelling "Senorita!" I ignored him, b/c in all honesty, the men here do that a lot. So I did what I always do, look straight ahead, keep walking, and ignore him.

But he wouldn't give up! He chased me with his car, people were staring, then he jumped out of his car and literally chased me down. He stopped me, and started explaining in Spanish that I couldn't put my trash bag there. I really wasn't up for this crap, so I said sorry, I don't speak Spanish, and started to walk away. But he wouldn't leave me alone. He jumped in front of me and pointed to a different trash can. I smiled, said ok and tried to walk away again. Again he blocked me. He insisted I go back and take my bag out of the trash can and move it to the one that said "organic" on it. I said it wasn't organic. But obviously the insane man would not be appeased until I did this. Sighing and cursing I walked back to the first can, removed my bag and put it in the one he pointed to. He said Gracias and walked off. I could have hurt him. Ridiculous. Sometimes people here are so laid back, but every now and then you get the crazies. Bizarre.

No comments: