Sunday, November 22, 2009

Cadiz

I definitely caught the nasty virus/cold my students have had. Thursday (my long day) I started to feel a bit off, shaky and hot and cold. By the time my classes were done (10 PM) I was feverish and shaking. Mark gave me some meds and sent me to bed.

I felt a bit better Friday, but Saturday I woke up not feeling great. However, Sonia and I decided we had to finally get out of Seville and see somewhere else! So we hopped the train to Cadiz, a small town southwest of Seville situated on a peninsula. It is absolutely lovely! The old town is a bit run-down with very small streets and a feeling that you stepped back in time. Sonia said it reminded her of the Victorian era seaside homes in England. I can't make that comparison as I've not seen them, but it seemed fair enough!

We did a quick walk through town, grabbed some sandwiches and coffee, and headed for the sea! We walked around the peninsula, met Nudi and friend for a drink, then played on the beach briefly. It was low 70s, and Sonia wanted to jump in, but we didn't have much time. We did see where they filmed the James Bond movie with Halle Berry, and Sonia did a fabulous impression. For pics of such, please see my Facebook page, as incriminating photos can be found there.

Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz will also be filming there, so parts of the city were also being blocked off and set up. We walked down Calle Ancha, which is slightly wider, and they will be filming a bull scene there, so the balconies and windows had the red and black scarves hung from them. It was lovely.

Then we hopped an early train home and chilled. This morning I woke up with almost no voice, and now I just sound like a frog. I really need to be able to speak tomorrow, or how else will I teach? Fun stuff! Sonia keeps giving me things to take. Lol.

We are still having crazy warm days here. The nights have chilled to mid 50s, but with Mark's thick and super 70s velvet curtains, our living room isn't as cold as it was. Still, we need to get some space heaters before the cold hits. People keep saying it will just suddenly change one day and you will be shivering in your apartment. I would like to be prepared.

23 days til I get to come home for a visit! I'm really excited.

No comments: