Saturday, December 10, 2005

Discrimination

An odd feeling, I must admit. Usually, as an American, people might dislike you and your politics, but it's unusal that you actually get told you are not allowed to do something because of where you're from!

What happened, you ask? Well, I was on a mission to rent a DVD. Sounds easy enough, but first you have to find a place, and here most of them are automated machines with no people and I couldn't figure out how to get a card. So we finally found a real place. Kate and I grabbed a DVD we both wanted to see, and I took it up to the counter. The man looked at me all funny, then asked what I wanted with the case. Um, to rent it? He frowned, then said I should have the little card thing with the number on it, NOT the case. Oops. Ok fine. So we got the number thing, brought it back and I asked if I could get a membership card. Sure. Can I see your personal id? Um, license or passport? Passport. Then he started flipping through it to find my visa. At first he didn't see it b/c I have several in there. Then he said I was only allowed to stay through the middle of July. Right. Good job, you can read! Actually, I was quite nice to him.

So then he says I can't have a card. What?! Whyever not? Because I am not German, and not allowed permanent residence. I was confused. But I'm here legally, I did it in Tuebingen with no problem, and I'm American for crying out loud! His response was that I might steal them and take them home. At which point I said, with what DVD player? They are different regions! Plus they would have my passport info, so they could track me down. Finally I gave up the argument and asked if there were any other places in town that might grant me the honor of a card. He said probably not, b/c they owned all the other places in town except the automats. (and obviously I have not figured those out!).

Kate and I put the number thingy back, thanked the stubborn man, and left. Then all the way home I griped about them refusing me a card. I've not had something like that happen before. Very interesting. And annoying. I really wanted to see that movie!!!

Ahh, life as a foreigner!

3 comments:

Megan said...

kate...did you post this or do you have a friend named kate there...just curious about who kate is when kate and I are being referred to :)...miss you tons and see you in a couple weeks!!!

Kate said...

There is another TA here from England named Kate. That is who I was talking about. lol. Sorry for the confusion!

Megan said...

darn, and here i was hoping for some juicy gossip :)