Wednesday, August 09, 2006

DDR



No, it has nothing to do with the commie side of Germany. It is the craze of Dance Dance Revolution! Are you laughing as hard as I am now? I think it's only appropriate.

So James and Sam have been having DDR parties, and I have to admit, it's pretty stinkin' cool. Therefore, this Saturday I am combining my pool party with the popular DDR-age. Above are some pics of the party at S&J's.

The last pic is just my dog and I. I missed him sooooooooo much!!

On a more serious note, at church last Sunday, Thom was taking about his time at Uni, and how he had to take this class on Islam. He sat next to some self-proclaimed Muslim Feminists, and one day he had a discussion with them about their hijabs. Basically, it came down to the (somewhat?) Western view of women "over there" being oppressed and not treated equally. They countered that they felt more free, b/c they were not forced to be a size 2, wear high heels that killed their feet, and dress "sexy" to be taken seriously/appreciated or promoted. Instead, they are taken for the work they do, their abilities and intelligence. There's no pressure to be bulimic, and they aren't as obsessed with appearance as we are. So they felt that the Western woman is much more restricted than they are. Very interesting! I must admit, I've never thought of it that way, and was very appreciative to be presented with that p.o.v.
Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Megan said...

That is an interesting idea and I haven't heard it expressed that concisely before, it does make sense that they are viewed for their work instead of for their looks, but then why don't the men have to cover themselves up to have their work appreciated? That would be my question then...if women are not oppressed why have to hide your face and your body. This is not to say it is always appropriate to flaunt it, but it seems still that men are free in a way women are not.

I know when mom took her class she mentioned that women are inherently distracting to men, but is this a fact or is it a result of men being in power and not needing to control themselves? I don't know, just some thoughts.