Sunday, March 11, 2007

Salsa

Friday night was amazing. After picking up Dad from the airport, I raced off to Monica's and we salsaed the night away. I'm not sure if it was the good weather or what, but the place was packed. And boy howdy were there some good dancers, a few of which I got to dance with. I barely left the dance floor for over two hours, and yes, my feet still hurt. It was great! Some of the people out there said they're going to Skybox Thursday, so we agreed to go. I would go more often if I didn't need that pesky little "sleep" thing. : )

Today it's church, groceries, Mom's, and lots of studying. I'm trying to read John Rawls Laws of People today. Fun stuff. Almost.

I was reading for my Multicultural Education class and came across some very interesting points and a quote I wanted to share. Just some food for thought.

"Education is a form of socialization. The purpose of education is to modify behavior, to make the individual a different person from what he would otherwise be. It is for this reason that educational policy is always social policy and that, in the modern world, the school is employed, deliberately, for the achievement of definite social purposes, becomes, in fact, a crucial element in national policy" (Newton 1939).

Thoughts? I realized I had never really thought of any other reasons for education than to transmit knowledge, but then again, what is knowledge and who decides what should be taught to children? And to what point? Are cultural values also transmitted in the process?

One more.

"Education must aim, first of all, at the building of minds that are sensitive to the social realities of the world in which they live, that are free, that have acquired the capacity for thinking for themselves, because they have had the opportunity to think for themselves" (Newton 1939, emphasis mine).

All right, I'm off my soap box.

: )

1 comment:

Megan said...

Good quotes, unfortunately for your blog it's friday so I am terminating all thinking in honor of the weekend.