Friday, March 19, 2010

A New Season

Sorry for slacking on the posting!

The weather suddenly changed about a week ago and it has been lovely ever since! 60s and 70s during the day! Last weekend the girls and I couldn't believe it and took the opportunity to sit on their roof one day with chocolate and music (bliss!) and sit down by the river the next. When the sun is shining and it's warm, the city comes to life and I fall in love with it all over again.

Today we took advantage of our short work weeks and met Paola for coffee. We'd not seen her in months due to the cowering in our apartments, hiding from the hideous weather. But today we sat in a lovely square and had coffee and discussed the news. Sonia is off to Japan to teach for a year come August and we are well excited for her! Paola is moving to England come summer to teach and hopefully stay there for a bit (she's from Argentina but has lived in Italy, Spain and England as well - I'm a bit envious!).

Then Sonia and I walked around town and we bought some black flip flops as we are both in need of a pair and soon we will be able to wear them! You can tell the tourists from the Spaniards will no trouble at all at the moment. The Spanish are still trekking around in winter coats, boots and scarves. The tourists wear flip flops and shorts and sun themselves. The natives won't break out summer clothes until after Feria in April. My desire to blend in is competing with my love of the sun and wanting to walk around in sandals. But I think we'll continue to sun on the roof on the weekends to get a bit brown, as I am feeling so pale!

The city is preparing for Semana Santa, or Holy Week, and Jesus and Mary are suddenly everywhere. During Holy Week schools are off and people have vacation and people from all over come to Seville to see the festivities. It is insane, or so I hear. I think Dad and I will see a few days of it and then leave the madness, probably to the Costa del Sol and then up to Ronda. I am excited to have some time off of work and travel a bit, as I've not traveled in quite awhile! I can't wait to show Dad around.

I am also glad Dad is bringing my new Sketchers as I have now sown up my only pair here twice. That is slightly pathetic. But they are my best walking shoes, and I walk a lot to my classes. They only need to last one more week!

I also heard that Jennie is having a baby boy! How exciting! Personally, I wanted her to have a girl, but I don't think my vote had much sway.

That's it for now! Greetings from the (finally) sunny and lovely Seville! Hasta pronto y tenga un buen fin de semana!

No comments: