Saturday, March 11, 2006

Berlin

Berlin was amazing! They put us up in a 4-star hotel that was way nicer than my apartment. lol. The snow followed us there, making it quite cold. However there were lots of Fulbrighters there, and not just fellow TAs, but people doing projects and exchange teachers and whatnots. Very cool.

There were wonderful workshops and panal debates, where I learned about Muslims in Germany, the making of elite Unis in Germany, life after Fulbright and staying in Germany/Europe, and I learned about other peoples' Fulbright experiences. I also took a tour of Medieval Spandau, and Chuck and I made it briefly to Kreuzberg, the so-called "Turkish ghetto" which is not really a ghetto by U.S. standards. We found a cool nut shop there, and also a shop purely full of baklava. The green ones were a bit funky tasting. We also spent time with his amazing friend Kelly, who is currently interning at a think tank there. I was impressed.

I also got to see a bit of the city, though I mostly spent time in workshops or hanging out with Saran and Hillary. But they put us up right on Alexanderplatz, next to the Fernsehturm (T.V. tower). Sadly there was lots of construction. But it was a quick walk to the Rathaus, the statue of Marx and Engel, the old Commie gov't bldg, the Dom, Museum Island, and Unter den Linden and the Brandenburger Tor. All very cool and East Berliny. On the last day Chuck and I checked out the Gedaechtniskirche again. So pretty. And also very sad to see what the city looked like after the war and how it was all destroyed and the church is a good reminder of the tragedy of war.

So basically it was an amazing trip. We got back last Thursday and I spent yesterday and today trying to catch up on things. I still have a good deal to do, but tonight a bunch of us are going to see Brokeback Mountain. Not sure if it will be in German or English.

It's also cold here. At least it's not cold enough to snow, but we're supposed to get "unseasonably cold weather" rather soon. As in not reaching freezing. Oh joy. Can't you feel the excitement? lol. I am sooooooo ready for warmth!!!!! Ahhhhh!

The pics of Berlin will be up online in a day or so. I took tons and need to sort through them, surprise surprise!

Chuck's sis comes tomorrow and I'm looking forward to meeting her.

I think the lady cut off more than 2 inches of hair. I look bald.

No comments: