Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Strikes and Shoplifting

What is it with Europe and strikes? French students have been striking because the government is trying to reduce their horrific unemployment, and the Germans were striking due to a 1.5 hour work week increase for certain people like trash collectors. And tomorrow the doctors in Germany are supposed to strike. They want a 30% pay increase. Dear goodness.

So Chuck's sis has been here this week, and yesterday I took her shopping. Last of all we stopped by the grocery store b/c I needed food. She picked up a bottle of alcohol to take to a friend at home, then at the register changed her mind and set it down. As we tried to leave, a man stopped us and started talking to us, and I assumed he was the regular German-crazy, b/c they are just everywhere. So I grabbed Becky and tried to steer her away but then he got angry and stepped in front of us and wouldn't let us pass and I figured it was time to listen to what he was saying. Then he said something about us having a bottle of alcohol and not paying for it. I said we didn't buy it b/c she didn't want it, and then he got angry again and said we had to go to the office right now! I was starting to freak a bit and was way mad b/c I'd never do such a thing. I got a bit haughty and said no, we didn't take it and if he would come with me I could show him exactly where it was. I just took off and went back and picked it up and handed it to him. Then he apologized and wished us a good night. Jerk. I mean, I shop there at least once a week and I've never taken anything before. He didn't even have any official store whatnot on, so how was I supposed to know he worked there? I was not happy. But all was ok in the end. Sheesh.

2 comments:

The said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The said...

I think we all know about Kate and her little kleptomania problem... :) hehehe I hope you weren't too hard on the poor man!