Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Eight Days and Counting...

It's that time again! I've been home long enough, had a lovely time with family and friends, finally finished my MA (my Dad is immensely relieved!), and even learned a bit about the thrilling world of insurance. So I'm moving to Spain next week, and will be doing a CELTA course so that I may find work as an English teacher. I'll be in Seville for the next month and can't wait!

Right now selected items of clothing are neatly stacked all over my bed as I decide what I can take with me and what, sadly, must remain. I'm only allowed a 50 lb limit, and my suitcase already weighs 15 lbs on its own! Darn it. I don't think that should be counted in the weight limit. How do people live with only two pairs of shoes? What will I dance in? How will I take books? Ohhh the issues!

You might be wondering, well, I know Kate speaks German, but has she been learning Spanish? To which I would respond, not really. A kind friend has lent me Rosetta Stone for the week, and it's helpful, but I doubt I'll be proficient by next Thursday. I have visions of walking into a store, needing a basic product, and of having no idea how to ask for it or read the label. I still cringe when I think of that half year in Germany when I hand-washed my clothing in my tiny sink with fabric softener, not detergent, until someone saw what I was doing and laughed at me. They did, however, show me which was detergent vs. fabric softener. Oh, the shame! I felt kinda dirty for awhile afterwards. Now at least I'll know to look up "detergent" in my dictionary.

I'll be blogging more often and putting up pics, so if you want to follow along, my blog will once again be regularly updated. :)

3 comments:

MRP said...

Katie, I wish you all the best and can tell you that it will be easier to find detergent in Spain than it was in Germany: the word for it in castellano is "detergente"! BTW, the softener is the "suavizante". So, no more excuses not to wash your clothes properly, hee hee! :) Have a great trip! Rita

Kate said...

That's a relief! One less thing to worry about. :) Thanks Rita!

Sam Ransom said...

Hey have a fabulous time! I'm sorry that we missed the pool party. Trust me you didn't miss much- my big prego belly in a swimsuit? ugh!

Anyways, we will miss you and I plan to keep up with your blog!