Friday, October 07, 2005

Das Teehaus

Today has been quite delightful. I got to sleep in, then as I breakfasted, I saw the Hausmeister outside of my window at the trash recepticles. I waved and he came over (my window was open because I was luefting and airing out my bedding as well. He said he could fix my window right then and there and did! Yay!

Then I went into town on my hunt for the visa office. It took a few tries because it's a bit hidden, but then I walked the five floors up and waited until the not so happy woman let me in. She insisted I wait until I get a proper appointment although I had everything with me, but she ended up being nicer by the end. I think she couldn't resist all my big grins and trying to persuade her into a happier mood. So on the 2nd of November I can go get my visa, hopefully. She mentioned something about waiting on something from Tuebingen but I have no idea what or why.

I was feeling quite successful by this point. I also got a text message saying that my student id card was taken care of and would be sent to me. Now this means it could arrive anytime from next week to next month. Lol. I'll hope for next week. Come on free transportation! (or at least sort of free...)

I felt the pull to frequent my newly favorite tea store, a quaint and cozy little shop that is beautiful and has all lovely things having to do with tea. I walked in and the owner was there, and said I could go behind the counter and look at the teas. And feel free to take off my backpack. So I did. Then he let me smell lots of the yummy teas. So many delicious and exotic choices!! So I settled on a wild cherry black blend and then also a crazy fruity one that is caffiene free. He also gave me a free sample of this summer dream one I had been eyeing. Being the gracious small business owner and friendly guy that he is, he offered me a glass of a tea he had brewing and some chocolate. How could I resist? So we sat down and enjoyed a marvelous cup of tea and nutty chocolate and talking to the customers that came in. It was really wonderful. So perfectly relaxed and European. He used to work with handicapped people (and has their art in his shop, it's very fun) and always told himself he would buy this store when it was up for sale, and this spring it suddenly was so he jumped in and bought it and now he loves coming to work. Doesn't that sound great? : )

I was pulled away from my movie-like tea time because I'd forgotten I was going to stop by Chuck's for tea before he left for Stuttgart for the weekend. Oops! So I rushed over there and we had some tea (also from the same store), a mild and not bitter green tea. Yum. I don't even like green as much, but this stuff is seriously good. I feel so spoiled with the non-bagged tea. Ahhh. And the weather was beautiful today. A perfect fall day with sun and we sat on the balcony overlooking our favorite fat bunnies and the perfect little yard with a bench and lily pond. (Contented sigh)

Then Chuck had to run and he let me stay to use his phone and yes, I spent awhile talking to Mom and Lexi. I love it when people have landlines and let me call home!

Side note: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHELLE!!! Hope it's going well.

Tonight I'm meeting Mark at a new and shiny bar for drinks because, let's face it, I don't want to spend all evening sitting alone in my room studying. : )

Last night I accidentally ran into the other TAs in town. Beautiful! They invited me along to dinner and it was quite fun. There are two from England and one from Canada. There are two more in town, but they were elsewhere. It is good to meet new people because I feel like while I have met a few good people, my friend circle (Freundkreis) is significantly small right now. I really need to add some Germans to it, perhaps when Uni starts.

I suppose I've gone on enough for one day. Especially about tea. But, to be fair, it is amazing tea! : )

1 comment:

Megan said...

Good job with finding the tea store...do you remember when you and Nathan went to the tea store in tuebingen? :)