Saturday, October 08, 2005

Market Day

I think Market Day might be among my favorites. On Tuesdays (sadly I'm at work) and Saturday mornings there is a big square where people come out and set up tents and stands and sell the most brightly colored, delicious looking vegetables, fruits, meats, cheeses, flowers, and more! They are all fresh and inviting and hard to resist. So much better than shopping at a grocery store. And they let you try things. I wanted to get some lunch meat and I didn't realize there was such a selection of salami, so the lady recommended one then insisted I try it to make sure I liked it. Yum! And you can get organic there as well. So I filled my backpack with vegies for some wonderful salads to come, splurged on a few pieces of fruit, and got a pumpkin for carving. It just won't be October without a pumpkin.

There are also stands that sell food to eat right there, and I couldn't resist getting a red wurst in a little broetchen (roll). Mmmmmm. It's all so delicious.

The market square is modern and redone, however just past the tents you can see the towers of the church in the Altstadt, the Stiftskirche (as the church is called) and it makes for a magical setting. I really wished I had had my camera there. I will try to remember it next time.

Well, the laundry in the sink calls, as do my studies.

1 comment:

Megan said...

enjoy the market kate :) we have farmers markets here at home too which are fun to go to but i bet yours is better and i imagine the meat is amazing...miss you tons!!!