Monday, February 06, 2006

Big Bad Air Base

Yesterday, in between studies, Mark took me to one of the Ami (American) air bases in the area, Ramstein. It's funny b/c the Germans guard it. Then you are in Little America. Subsidized gas, military buildings, Chili's, big cars, a supermarket full of American food, and lots of English. I have to admit, it was very, very odd. Here I am, in the middle of Germany, looking at American postboxes and SUVs and feeling very confused. It is also a NATO base, being the (Mark thought) air headquarters for the org. It is some kind of headquarters of Europe for NATO. And it is a HUGE base. Two gyms, two theaters, two post offices, and everything the same numb color of tan. Some Amis move here for two years and practically never leave base, then they buy a beer stein and go home saying they've "lived" in Germany. Darndest thing!

I sadly missed the Super Bowl, even though Chuck texted me at 12:30 to let me know it was on his tv. I was not crawling out of bed to go watch it. Maybe if the Chiefs had been playing. Oh wow, there, I'm sure we all had a good laugh at that one! hee hee. : D

As of February first we've had a new schedule and I'm still working out the kinks. I've been trying to stop my teachers, one by one, and get a new time for each class. So today was crazy and my usual four-lesson day turned into one lesson that I was subbing for. And it was even my own class! lol. My 8d class, who are usually quite good. I was very disappointed with them today, however. Ok, so granted I gave them a near impossible task of a 500-word story by the end of the hour, but they barely worked, and one group of boys were so not nice to this one boy, and I got quite angry. So as homework I assigned a 250-word essay on why it's important to respect others. Little turds.

It's still very cold here. It snowed a bit yesterday, was pretty. Looks like it could snow again today. I want to go for a jog, but the cold, the closing off of my park, and waiting on Ashley are convincing reasons to wait. Plus I need more bread, b/c to my utter horror, as I went to make a sandwich this morning, it had gone green and moldy. And can towels mold? B/c mine smells funky no matter how many times I wash it and this morning finally decided to trash it and go into town for a new one. I'd simply had it. Enough with the mold! I WILL come out victorious!

No comments: