Saturday, February 25, 2006

Meine Rosa Peruecke

Fasching (Carneval) is quite big here in Germany. There are huge celebrations in Koeln and Mainz, and Monday we are headed to Mainz since it is just under two hours from here. Today Chuck and I did some last minute costume shopping. Sadly shops are closed tomorrow so we probably won't get the face paint we wanted. I wanted either the cow hat or the neon pink wig, and chose the wig b/c it's so exciting. Most people wear really crazy hats, but I was taken with the wig. Chuck got a really tall, feathery Indian hat. Lol. Thomas thought it was hilarious b/c we shouldn't be playing up stereotypes. But come on, it's Fasching!!!

We also made Matthias a birthday cake with Peanut M&M's, however we forgot to put baking soda in it, and it looks like a colored, cratery moon. Hm. At least it's not boring? Smells great, though. And we got him a plant. In Germany, if it's your birthday you are supposed to cook. I don't like that. So we had to bring a cake/brownies.

It's 6:15 (pm) and not quite dark yet. I'm loving it. Spring will be here sometime!!!! Chuck booked a flight to Barcelona for Spring Break, and it sounds great, but I have to pass. Rita invited me to Portugal sometime, if I can afford it and if I can get away from work. Plus, if possible, I'd love to get to Budapest when it's not freezing. If not, it's still cool just living here. Always lots to do, too.

I have a bit of a cold now, thanks Chuck. hee hee. I swear he catches everything! Oh, we have the bird flu in Germany now and people are getting worried and it's all over the news and birds are being "destroyed". Ew. I don't like that.

We are going to base tomorrow. All right! There are some Ami things I want that I just can't get here, so I'm glad to go there. I'm getting a REAL pillow. I just can't take German pillows. They annoy me to no end. And Halls cough drops. Ahhhhhhh. You have to use dollars there, too. Crazy, huh? I think we're even going to do dinner at Chili's. So weird, but nice.

I'd better go before Chuck decides he can decorate the cake by himself! That could get dangerous.

No comments: