Tuesday, July 11, 2006

My Half-Ass Rant

Cat and I were talking this evening and she mentioned how these people in her biology class think that doing things half-assed and not working hard are cool. And actually, when I thought about it, it seems a lot of people (sadly often younger people) tend to take this viewpoint. "Yeah man, I didn't do the work for the presentation but the boss thinks I did and didn't check it." Or "I was supposed to help my mom out but she didn't even notice that I only swept the floor instead of mopped it." Ok, so maybe those are sucky examples, but I think you get the drift. Why is it ok or even cool to not try your hardest and be rewarded? Isn't it ten billion times better to give something your all or at least do what you are supposed to and then be proud of the results? Why are we praising twits who think that doing less than your best is not only acceptable but favorable? It's appalling and highly disappointing.

Now, I'm not saying we don't have our lazy days or just times when fudging a little isn't so bad. But on a day to day moral basis, why shouldn't we strive for our best and encourage the best in others?

Just something to think about.

No comments: