Thursday, March 06, 2008

Jamaica

Hi all!

Ok, so it's been awhile since I've blogged. Dad and I had a wondeful time in Jamaica with his friends. 11 of us were there, and we stayed at an awesome, all-inclusive resort in Montego Bay. The place has 4 swimming pools, a water park, two hot tubs, a swim-up bar, a workout facility and spa, two restaurants, food and drinks everywhere, tennis courts, beach, water sports, beautiful gardens, a piano bar, etc. Very cool!

We hung out on the beach a lot, but did take two day trips. The first was a Booze Cruise where we took a really cool boat out and snorkeled above a reef and fish, then went to play at Margaritaville where there is a huge slide and water trampolines! On the way back we saw lots of dolphins, and five of them raced our boat. I couldn't get a good picture but it was pretty incredible to watch!

The other day trip was to Negril, on the west side of the island. It is about 80 km from Montego Bay and depending on traffic, can take less than an hour or close to two. We went to a beach there and rented sea doos, then I went parasailing! That was quite the experience. Only about half of our group went, and I went up with Lily. You go up about 300 ft and can see so much of the ocean and the island. It was really windy up there and felt like being in a big swing with wind rushing past your ears. While it was amazingly cool, I have to admit it was also a bit scary. But completely worth it!

In Negril we also did some shopping, then headed over to Rick's Cafe to watch the famous sunset. I heard that the Travel Channel listed it as one of the most beautiful sunsets in the world (or place to watch one, something along those lines). We had a lot of clouds, but it was still lovely. Dad and Austin and Bob also jumped and dove off of the high cliffs. It's a really beautiful cove. I have some pics on my online album, and if you didn't receive the email, email me and I'll add you to the list and re-send it.

Sadly I am still pale because I used too much sunblock. I was trying to be careful and not miss a day out in the sun, and everyone else pretty much burned and peeled and hurt. I did manage to burn my scalp, ears and hands. Go figure.

The weather and landscape was breathtakingly beautiful, the people were wonderful, and it was heavenly. Definitely the trip of a lifetime.

Now we are back home and Dad leaves next Wednesday. I finally bought my ticket and I leave March 27th and return July 15th, the day after classes end. : )

As for my thesis work. Well, um, hm. I am, however, reading a very interesting book called When I Was a Soldier, about a girl in the Israeli army.

Oh! And Auntie is coming down this weekend for a visit, so I'm quite excited.

That's about it for news. : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the pics. I don't know if you remember me, we met at your grandpa LeRois' funeral (at an age you can remember). I am an old friend of the family. Thanks, Kim