Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Jobless in Seville

I love Seville. It's beautiful, great location, a slow pace of life, etc. However, my course is quite intense. 10-12 hour days at the school, especially with all the lesson planning and not having Internet at the apartment.

I've just realized I have 1 week (until next Thursday) left in my apartment. Then I have nowhere to live and no job. I really want to stay here, but it is more difficult to find work being American. I may have to suck it up and head north, though Madrid is much colder and farther inland than I would like. And a bit more hectic. But I do have friends there and there is a better chance for work. It feels all very last minute right now, and for a planner like myself, it makes me a bit worried.

On a lighter note, our propane tank that heats our water ran out this morning. I shower first, jumped in, waited, waited, waited, and the hot water never came. Our shower is usually slow and tempermental, but it usually works (somewhat). So I jumped back out, wrapped in my big yellow towel, and padded on in to Laura's room. She tested her water and no. Mark heard us from downstairs and yelled up, with a laugh in his voice, sorry girls, no hot water this morning! We exchanged frustrated looks, then I went back for a very cold and miserable shower. As I was downstairs eating breakfast, I heard the water turn on and several loud, manly screams. Mark was showering. I about choked on my toast.

It's finally rained here in Seville, after five months. Or so I'm told it's been five months. Summer is officially over, which means our apartment is no longer an oven. Yay!

Sunday I got a bit ill. Some kind of stomach bug. My roommates took care of me (they are AWESOME). Monday I was still feeling a bit under the weather, so a classmate took me to the Farmacia and asked for the right meds. Ahhhh. Lots of people in our course have been catching things. I just love being sick in a foreign country.

Emma and Chris are traveling around Spain at the moment and will be coming to Seville this weekend. I'm soooooooooo excited!!!!! I still have lots of work to do, but I plan to spend as much time as possible with them.

I'm off for the night. It's past my dinner time so I'd like to walk home now. :)

No comments: