Friday, September 11, 2009

Weekend!

This week has been quite busy. Filled with lesson planning and assignments and several long nights of, oh yeah, more lesson planning. We switched from our intermediate class to an elementary level, and our available technology also changed. We went from having a smart/interactive board (highly unlikely in most schools) to having an overhead projector, whiteboard, and construction paper. I never thought it would take so long to plan a lesson!

Last night the school threw a party and it was on the roof of the other building. We had no idea there was a jacuzzi and games up there. It was quite nice. They had a flamenco guitarist playing on a stage, and a huge grill of paella. We also brought in a fair amount of lovely Spanish wine and tinto de verrano as well. Then we moved to another bar nearby.

The other night we played a fun game called "find the maggots". How does one play? Well, Laura and I were cooking some dinner and she opened one of our bags of rice and asked me to come over. I looked down and there was a maggot squirming near the top of the rice. So we threw that bag away. Then we grabbed another bag. We looked it in, and sure enough, maggots. So bag number two was tossed. We took out our last bag of rice, poured it into a bowl and checked it for bugs. Didn't see any, so she tossed it into the boiling water. A few minutes later I hear, "ummm, Kate?" She had looked into the bowl and saw something floating at the top. Any guesses what it was? Yeah, we threw that away, too.

Then this morning I was walking down the stairs to the kitchen when I saw a two-inch long cockroach flipped over on its back. I decided I would wait and get rid of it after I got some orange juice. Then I hear Laura go, "it's still alive!" And she picked it up and said she was getting rid of it. Before we left for school, she goes, "should we throw the trash out?" I was a bit confused and asked why, to which she replied, "well, the cockroach was still alive and I just threw it in the trash and I'm afraid it will crawl out". I laughed quite a lot, then said maybe she should have either thrown it outside or stepped on it before putting it in the trash, and in the future she's lost her cockroach disposing responsibilities.

I think we are going to Isla Magica (theme park in Seville) Saturday evening for Sonia's birthday. I am hoping to see a bit more of the city this weekend, but I still have a decent amount of work to do for lessons next week.

And I need a job! And an apartment, bank account, etc. Lol. I have just started looking. I've heard the black market (job wise) here is Spain is very much alive and well, possibly moreso than the regular one. They joke that the 500 Euro bill was made for Spain, and many purchases are made with boxes of 500 notes. Of course, I'm not saying I would be looking for anything like that...just an interesting thing I've heard.

Back to job hunting!

1 comment:

Mutti said...

Kate, I think maggots are fairly high in protein and once boiled, quite tasty. So you may want to re-think the hasty decision to dispose of them without cause...or not....:-) Miss you.