Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Andalucia and traffic

This morning Holly and I met for a cafe con leche and then biked the other way down the river towards Triana. We crossed over and cycled down Betis, which has lovely buildings that I must photograph someday, and where at night it is packed as the going out spot in Triana. We cycled through town, where as I observed traffic I saw cars zooming in and out at dangerous speeds and very small spaces, nearly crashing into each other constantly, motorcycles and mopeds attempting even more dangerous feats, buses and taxis (they're the scariest! I can't watch when I ride in one!) and bikes. And right in the middle of this loud madness are the African men selling tissue and I think juice boxes. Standing right there in there in the middle of the street! I don't know how they survive. Holly and I stayed on the bike path and only had to dodge pedestrians and construction, but I watched the insanity and was glad I don't drive here. Interesting to watch, however.

As always, I never bring guidebooks with me when I go abroad. But I should. I just never think of it. So I'm borrowing Holly's to do some research about where I want to take Dad while he's here. I would love to head to the far north, just because I've never been there, but I think he'd prefer not to. As I was reading about Andalucia, the autonomous region where I live, the book states: "Spain's most southerly region is the true home of typically Spanish experiences. Bullfighting, tapas, flamenco, the guitar itself, all began in Andalucia and remain deeply embedded here. Other aspects of Spanish life take on their most extreme forms here: Andalucian fiestas are the noisiest and most colorful, Easter processions have more pageantry, the summer heat is more broiling, the people are at their most vivacious, fun-loving and family-oriented. But beyond the cliche images, Andalucia is a land of surprises and contradictions....Deeply traditional yet ready to seize the modern world, Andalucians always live life to the full. Few visitors to their land fail to get caught up in the fun."

So true.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Sign me up!

Daniel said...

Just wanted you to know I FINALLY figured out how to sign into Blogger again....I promise to read and comment!

Kate said...

Good job Dad! And hey, you ARE signed up! End of March! I think everyone here (including all my students) knows that my dad is coming to visit! I can't stop talking about it! hee hee.