Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Nach Schottland

As of yesterday Germany has its first female Chancellor!!! Congrats Frau Merkel. Exciting times here.

Monday some of the TAs and I checked out our little Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market) here in 'Lautern. Very cute. I got a couple of the Gluehwein cups. My digi camera doesn't work so well at night or I would take pics and post them. I love Weihnachtsmaerkte!! They have all sorts of yummy sweets and crafts and the whole downtown is decorated. We even have lots of huge trees all over. Very festive.

Monday after school I went to Heide's (a teacher of mine) and we spent the whole afternoon baking Weihnachtsplaetzchen (Christmas cookies with a special name b/c they are indeed special!) It was great. The Germans put our Christmas cookies to shame.

So at the Christmas market I wanted to try the Gluehwein (glowing wine) b/c it's very traditional German. I hadn't eaten in awhile so I had a Wurst first, but then we drank just one glass of the wine and afterwards I was really loopy. I could barely stay awake at 9 when I went home and was fast asleep by 10. Now I'm wondering, since I rarely touch alcohol, how do you know if you're a bit "buzzed"? Odd question I know, but I swear one glass can't do that, right? Ahh, the adventures one has here! lol.

Yesterday I went on a field trip and took a fifth grade class to a French movie, luckily there were German subtitles. It was an experience. 18 small children all under MY care. Oh dear. It was also weird b/c the class has two boys from the U.S. so as soon as the teacher said I was the American TA they started talking to me in perfect English, with one of the boys having a cute Georgian accent. Suess!!

Today in a few hours I'm off to Scotland til late on Sunday. I am meeting Auntie there and quite excited!

The cold winter has arrived and brrrrr!!!!!

Last night I had ballroom and afterwards I was supposed to meet up with some teachers b/c it was Uwe's birthday. Well, I rode my bike around in the freezing dark for about half an hour, lost a glove, and finally gave up and called Thomas b/c I was way lost. I had ridden off my map so I couldn't find myself or how to get where I meant to go. Lol. I finally found them, but it took forever to thaw out, then we had to walk back home (b/c they walked there). Boy howdy I am ready for spring already!!!!

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving! Eat some turkey and canned cranberries for me!

: )

2 comments:

Megan said...

have fun in schottland :)...missing you during the holidays but we'll see you soon ! :)...big hugs!!!

Megan said...

(sung) Oh where oh where can kaaaate be
oh where oh where can she beeeeeeeeeee???

it's getting cold out here too once in awhile, i think it dipped below 40 the other night...brrr...chilly :)...i can't wait to see you either kate, it should be great!...i hope your trip is going well and you're being safe....big hugs!