Saturday, November 19, 2005

Schulfest

This morning's school festival was quite nice. I started at the American Breakfast with real pancakes and syrup that one of my students bought at the Base. Yum!! I didn't even have to cook. I thought they would have me do that. Instead they gave me pancakes. Then I walked around the school to see what all the other classes had prepared. All sorts of food, especially sweets and cookies. Mmm. I didn't indulge, just looked. And a few students played music. There were games as well. Very nice.

On the train ride home the train was packed with people going to 'Lautern for the soccer game today. Also tons of Amis. (Americans) I was sitting next to some and started talking to them and they thought I was German. I still sound horrible due to my lovely cold. I finally got them to believe I was American, but they still insisted on speaking German with me. Very odd because most Amis here don't speak a word of German. But these were surgeons. Not to be an intellectual snob, but the normal military don't take an interest in the language. I hadn't met any of the doctors before. They aren't even here as long as the military folks. Go figure. So I walked with them to the start of the Altstadt and said goodbye.

On Tuesday I'm going with another teacher on a field trip to my own city, but what's funny is she needs me to help watch the kids, which means I need to go to Landstuhl first and meet them at the train station there before 8 am. Crack me up. And then we'll come BACK to my city and go to a French movie. Go figure. I think it's great. Actually, Chuck and I went to a French movie in Montpellier and that was quite hilarious since we could barely order the tickets and the man behind the counter kept telling us that the film was in French and we couldn't speak French. As if we didn't realize that. lol.

So I have work on Monday, the French field trip on Tuesday, work Wednesday and then lots of train time to get to the airport and off to Schottland for a loooong weekend. Luckily I have a ride home in the middle of the night on Sunday. I was a bit worried about that, but now it should be ok. It'll just be a tired Monday afterwards.

I think I need a nap. : )

1 comment:

Megan said...

go kate go just like a good little traveler :)