Thursday, June 14, 2007

Going Green

Alas, we've gone green. And I don't mean in some eco, German-crazy environmentally friendly sort of way. I mean in the, despite my excellent and timely pool care, making sure it was vacuumed, backwashed, filters clean, chemicals perfect, etc., my pool has turned a frightening shade of green. Now, if you are a fan of swimming in lakes, this might not bother you, and while I have nothing against swimming in lakes, this is disturbing because, well, let's face it, I have a pool in my yard and not a lake. So you can see my concern is justified.

After raising the hardness and attempting to raise the already level pH, I got a call from Dad this morning out in the middle of nowhere South Carolina on the way to the airport. After making sure he was doing better from being injected with all the scary diseases known to man (ok, just several of them), I blurted out that I'd lost the pool to greenness. And that the chemicals were all where they ought to be. Suddenly he goes, did you check the filter we closed off? If something didn't die in the pool, maybe something else is growing in that filter.

So outside I trek to The Dead Filter, and once I open it oh my goodness gracious! Megan, remember when you found the mountain of mold on your wall? Well, this wasn't quite as dramatic, but wow. Talk about a ton of algae! All growing right there in the lovely Dead Filter. So I got down the algae killer chem and some serious chlorine and poured it all into The Dead Filter. Take that algae! Ha! We'll see how it looks when I get home from work. I'm hoping for a pleasantly blue pool.

Ahh, the joys of homeownership and maintenance (ok, so I can't really claim that, but man I've been waiting for so long to say it!)

As of now the score is Algae 1, Kate 0. But I think the tide is about to change.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Or maybe some extremely strong alcohol would work? Just an idea, of course that did start taking the plaster off my walls :) it also killed the mold...hmmm