Saturday, February 02, 2008

Daily Life

I took advantage of the break in rain to pop over to Plus to get some wine and chocolate to take to the Kim's tonight. As I walked past my corner fruit and vegie guy, I waved hello. As I came back from Plus, (oh, wait, it just started hailing out my window! talk about really weird weather!) he waved again, then I heard him yell something. I turned around and he came out the door and said to come inside.

I decided to be polite and come inside, and he immediately asked me if I wanted orange juice or champagne. I looked the the two sitting on the counter and paused. Ummmm. He explained it was their one-year anniversary of having this shop. I accepted a glass of OJ and he, his wife and I talked for awhile. He's been here 30 years, she's been here 18. He came to Germany on vacation one, came again, and just stayed, thinking he would leave after a year or two. 30 years later....

As we talked more and I learned about their lives and they asked me about mine, it was just nice to have people be warm and friendly like that. It always seems it is the foreigners (or at least usually) who let you into their lives quite quickly. I don't know why I like that so much, but I really do.

Once I returned home, I realized I knew quite a bit about their lives, and yet I still don't know their names. I might have to ask next time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just another rude American! Don't even bother learning people's names! hehehehe

Just messing with you, Kiddo!

Love,

Dad

Megan said...

I'm glad someone talked to you and was super friendly. I think it's nice to be accepted like that especially when you're so far from home :)