Sunday, December 02, 2007

Ginger Bread House

I went to Emma and Chris's for Thanksgiving last night. Chris cooked, as usual, and made a delicious feast of chicken, stuffing, and lots of yummy vegies! Mmmmmmm. I tried to be a good guest and brought this fun-looking gingerbread house. We all admired its beauty and then dug in.






The only problem was that the house was as hard as a rock. We all managed to wrestle off part of the house, take one bite, make a face, and give up. Emma and I decided to go to the closest store and buy stuff to make a house out of. Dessert AND a fun activity!




The pickings for house-making were slim, but we managed. We used waffles for a base, held it together with icing, and Chris suggested Nutella to make it brown.




We even used a paintbrush to paint on the Nutella. Those walls were hard to stick together, and once we added the roof, we thought it might collapse! For extra support, we added a sort of buttress waffle on the back.



Then we made a garden and put bears and figurines in it. Emma added the snow. This was Emma's first ginger bread house ever, and by golly gee wizz, I'd say she did a marvelous job!


Doesn't that look delicious and like creative genius-ness?




Mmmmmmm.




Please notice the historical significance we included in the artistic house and surrounding area. The big figure is our "Soviet Santa". Do you see how he looms over the common folk and watches their every move? Do you see the little green bear outside the wall trying to get into the West? As the end of the evening neared, we freed the bears and removed Soviet Santa, and little Green Bear was able to join the happy West, and all celebrated a Happy Thanksgiving. I love happy endings. : )

4 comments:

Unknown said...

May I be the first to step out on a limb and say "you ain't all there!" lol

Actually, the Gingerbread house was very cool, very imaginative, and creative! Still, the political statement was a little over the edge! hehe (like I never make political statements!)

I enjoyed our conversation today, and I'm going to go next to see your new blogsite.

Love
Afghani Danny

Toni said...

Lovely gingerbread house, Kate. I appreciated the political statement myself. However, where is the gingerbread?

Anonymous said...

Too Cute! I was just asking Amin the other day if we were going to get to make one in Germany!!! I want to do one so bad! I dont think mine will have a political statement though...I am not good with statements! LOL
Only a few more days now until I am in Germany... :)

Megan said...

That's a great gingerbread house. I've actually never made one either. Did you make the first one or did you buy it?