Thursday, January 28, 2010

My favorite street names in Seville

I have to smile every time I see certain street names. Secretly I wished I lived on them, just so I could say that was my address. For example, Amor de Dios (the love of God) which I walk on daily. Or, "Madre de Dios" (mother of God), which I tend to say when I'm exasperated. Or "banos" (with line over n, which means bathroom/toilet). I also walked down "Jesus del Gran Poder" today (Jesus of the great power). And there are a million Saint So and So streets, of course.

Today I went to the Chinese store to get some construction paper to make animal flash cards for my kids, and I had an actual conversation with the man at the register! I asked him some questions, understood his answers, he asked where I was from, he told me he has relatives in the U.S., etc. I was practically beaming when I left the shop! A real conversation in the old espanol! Granted, it was a very, very basic conversation, but that is sooooo not the point. We have progress!

No comments: