Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Teacher, entertainer or babysitter?

Sometimes I'm not sure what I really am, but I think all three are correct. As an English teacher you have to get and keep people interested in your subject. Today I used Sonia's game with straws, where students have to find the correct vocabulary word and pick it up by sucking the paper up through a straw. Not as easy as it sounds!

Today I was also unintentionally the source of great amusement for my students. The same ones whose grandmother dried my boots and coat and put my socks up last week (not the ones whose mother insisted I take a pair of her socks - my students' families can be quite sweet!). As I got up to leave my two children looked at my shoes, then looked at each other and started laughing. "Pull up your pants so we can see the rest of your sandals" was sort of what the older one said (I've made it more grammatically correct). "My boots?" I asked. They nodded. I was wearing my comfy comfy fake uggs. They burst out laughing and went on in rapid Spanish and I really have no idea what they were saying. All I know is that for several minutes they stared at my boots, pointed, and laughed hysterically.

I tried to defend myself in both languages, stating they are for comfort, no high fashion. To which I got a "claro" which is like, no duh. Hmmmm. I eventually gave up and started walking toward the door. They followed me, still laughing so hard they could not breathe properly. I may never know why my boots were so amusing, but my students definitely got a kick out of them. I wonder if I should wear them Thursday for their next class?

I think I may have found a place today! It's not far from where I am now and is a one-bedroom. It even has a shared terrace access! Small but decent. Good for drying clothes. If all goes well tomorrow I will empty my bank account and sign over my first born for the apartment near the church. I'll be Clem's neighbor! It will be quite a relief.

Other than that it's been a bit cloudy but warmer. I'm hoping it will just get beautiful and stay that way!

No comments: