Monday, June 26, 2006

Ohne Holland Fahren Wir Nach Berlin...Schoeffle Schoeffle

This is a very sad song. And I can't believe the Germans sing it! I schimpf my kids when they say that. Soccer is taken so seriously here!

I visited Koto this weekend in Frankfurt. She lives in a beautiful part of the city. We walked around and saw some of the city, which seems quite nice, and watched the hordes of people pour into the area by the Main River to watch the soccer match, Germany vs. Sweden. We watched at a cafe and the Germans were crazy. They won, which means they go on to the Quarter Finals. It was insane! We took the U-Bahn back into town to take part in the celebration. They kept singing the same songs and people were climbing the fountain and jumping in, waving flags, and other craziness. Koto and I didn't stay too long, just long enough to take it all in. After all, we're not German, and while we are happy for them, we're not going to go crazy.

Last night E, Darco and I cheered for the Netherlands (sorry Rita, you know I love you!) and sadly they lost. Poor E! My sad Dutchman. We were even all decked out in orange and very spirited.

Today my two 8th grade classes had surprise parties for me. It was amazing. They baked all these incredible cakes, and I don't think I've ever eaten more cake in one day! I couldn't try them all. My kids can really bake. You wouldn't believe how incredible these cakes were! And they made me cards and gave me a Germany hat that they signed. I felt so loved. I really like those classes and it was so great to know they appreciated having me here as well.

This afternoon I started dealing with going-home-things. I will be without electricity for a day or so at the end, and I did the official whatnots to let the city know I'll be leaving. Dang. There is so much to do and my time is filling up and running out. I hadn't been really thinking about coming home and what I'd need to do. Yikes. And some teachers have invited me out to dinner, which is very kind. 8 days. I can't believe it. Then I'll be home. Can't fathom it.

But this weekend was great and so was today. My 6th graders invited me to a bbq at school on Friday and I'm more than excited to go. They were really shy/scared about asking me, which I think is cute b/c why should they be? I'm so happy to go!!!

I hope you all are well.

: )

No comments: