Tuesday, April 29, 2008

In the World Today

First of all, another happy birthday to my wonderful, lovely mother who turned 50 yesterday! And she is pretty dang hot for 50! Go Mom! (there's hope for me....)

On an entirely different note and more in line with the title of today's blog, I read some of the weirdest stuff in the news this morning. Mary, Megan and Dad, you might find this link interesting (I sure did!): http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6213854.stm
It's about women in Iran and how the state just can't seem to get them to dress "appropriately" and force is no longer working, hence they are turning to their very own fashion shows. Pretty interesting. There is also an article in the BBC News about Iran trying to ban Barbie and other toys because they encourage Western culture and all that badness. However, I didn't realize Iran is the world's third largest importer of toys. Hmmm.

I also read about another crazy Austrian who locked his daughter in the basement for 24 years and the rest of what happened there that I won't repeat in case anyone is thinking of eating soon.

Or that Fundamentalist LDS group in Texas that made their young girls marry way older men and have babies? Seriously folks, what the heck? Talk about some sick news today! Ewwww.

I just felt the need to share that will you all.

3 comments:

Mary said...

There are all kinds of things happening here too. I just read this, "The lawyer for US vice-president Dick Cheney claimed today that the Congress lacks any authority to examine his behaviour on the job.

The exception claimed by Cheney's counsel came in response to requests from congressional Democrats that David Addington, the vice-president's chief of staff, testify about his involvement in the approval of interrogation tactics used at Guantanamo Bay." There is more to the article.
If you have not kept up with the sub-prime crisis you may want to read about it, the Financial Times has better info than domestic papers. The executives who drove business and the country into the mess get tens of millions in bonus' even if they leave. On the other hand the woman who cuts my hair is losing her house, two wage earners in the family, educated people, but they were caught in one of the loan scams and are losing everything.

Mary said...

Forgot the link for the Cheney quote, http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/042908B.shtml

Unknown said...

The world has gone crazy! Thank Allah you and I are returning to boring, sedate Lenexa, Kansas! You will only be one month behind me. SWEET!
Okay, I shall call you Saturday. I had phone problems last weekend, as you are aware....

Love,
Afghani Daddy