Saturday, September 24, 2005

And God Proclaimed, Let There Be Clean Laundry!

That's right, after three weeks I was finally able to properly do two loads of laundry. I had to take it to my teacher's house a few blocks away, but still no problem. Of course, carrying it up and down the four flights to his apartment (especially wet) was fun. He has no dryer, so I had to use my drying rack and Chuck lent me one of his as well, plus there are sheets and clothes hung up across my wardrobe, bookcase and attached to my shower curtain. I tried to drape a pair of pants across my heator but it's tricky. It is under my desk and very thin and probably not the cleanest. Sadly I had to wash all my pants and we're going to a wine fest in two hours and I really need some pants! So I'm going to resort to using my hair dryer. I actually already used it a bit but then it over-heated. lol.

Thank you Val!! I got your package yesterday. I confess, I sorta opened it. Um, hee hee. Last night we went to the bar/cafe at the top of the Rathaus (the 21st floor) and went out on the balcony and dropped two of the Halloween parachuters off. It was great!! Unfortuntately we couldn't find them when we went back down so we will just have to trust some good German to recycle them for us. But they died for a good cause. You would have been proud. : D

Yesterday it was actually warm. And sunny. I sat outside in my sweater and studied without a coat! Bliss.

German bureaucracy is throwing me through more hoops. I can't get an appointment with the Auslaenderbehoerdersamt until mid-October, and that means no visa until then. Most Fulbrighters already have theirs, I'm not sure why it's taking me forever. But at least they are going to make an exception and give me my student id card before then so I can use the trains. While I really appreciate my kind and generous teachers taking me to and from school, I'm there much longer than I need to be every day. And sitting in the teachers lounge for an extra four hours a day is getting just a tad old. However, soon I will have the sacred Studentenausweis that will allow free usable of the expensive public transportation.

And thanks as well to Mom, Auntie, Meegan and Mary. I keep getting your letters and it really makes my day. I hope Henry is doing better, he's such a sweetie.

Well, I guess it's time to go back to drying my pants, maybe my blowdryer has recovered and is ready for another round!

1 comment:

Megan said...

i'm glad you like the letters and as you know henry is doing well so that's good...do you know we have a drying rack here at home and i use it on a regular basis :)...some habits die hard..miss and love you kate, big hugs!