Monday, September 12, 2005

Locked in a Monastery

That is how I spent the last several days (though it felt like much more). Locked in a monastery, though it was quite beautiful, in the middle of nowhere. We had gorgeous weather the first few days, sun and warmth and it was so green and lush out there, and add to that the backdrop of a lovely church and monastery.

However, there wasn't even a place to buy soap nearby, the closest town being almost 3 km away and only accessible by foot. So some people had to give up and be smelly. In the evenings they locked us in and sold alcohol so you can only imagine what kind of evenings followed.

There were 123 of us Fulbrighters, a bit more than the 80 positions they claimed to offer. Then there were another 50 kids from the UK at our orientation as well. Apparently they do several of these, and there are about 1000 language assistants, I think all English speaking, in Germany. Crazy. Then there are also other languages as well. I guess the Germans really want to get their languages right. Very admirable.

The classes were ok, though I felt it was too long and we could have shortened it. We did have to plan our own lesson with a group and present it then be critiqued on it.

I met some interesting folks that it will be fun to keep in touch with and go visit this year. And there are seven of us here in K-Town (four from Great Britain, one from Canada, and us two Americans, though I've only really talked to Chuck. He's quite cool and it's great because he lives two blocks from me in this totally posh apartment that is so gorgeous.

I have work bright and early tomorrow and I'm hoping to ask if I can have Fridays off and just work four days a week. My art class starts on Wednesday and I'm very excited.

I also hear that a cafe very nearby has Salsa dancing on Thursdays. I am so checking that out! How perfect would that be?

No comments: