Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Neuer Wein Macht Gluecklich

The Weinfest (wine festival) was nice. We saw the vineyards as the train approached, walked next to some as we went through the gorgeous town to the center where the fest was. We did a lap, found a pretty beer/wine garden in the sun where we had lunch and tried a glass of red "neuer wein" (new wine, not yet completely fermented, less alcohol). We sat and enjoyed the pleasant afternoon. Very laid-back. Then we found a creperie stand and had a delicious dessert. After that we located a fun wine tent with a booming German voice coming from an older man with a traditional southern German hat singing funny songs. So we grabbed some wine neuer wein and sat down amongst the older people. Then they started dancing! It was great! This one woman was the instigator and was making her friends get up and dance around. I'm thinking they had more than just one glass of neuer wein! But boy howdy were they having a good time. Ever seen older Germans get down? Well, just come to a beer or wine festival and you will!

Today was a Wandertag (like a field trip day). All of the classes go somewhere, the funny thing is, it doesn't have to be related to school at all. The group I picked went to the Japanese garden in my city so I met them there, it took us about 20 minutes to go around, then they all wanted to go shopping in the Altstadt, so the teacher and I walked around then had a coffee. Lol. Nice. I also saw the market which was wonderful. All the fresh food! We got some Wurst (I love Rotewurst) and walked around some more. Not a bad day of work, hee hee.

And for some reason the entrance was free to the gardens today, so in the afternoon Chuck and I checked out the Gartenschau that also had dinosaurs. Not as many garden areas as I thought there would be, but it will still quite fun. I'm putting some more pics online so feel free to check them out. There's one with the dinosaur. Good stuff.

Thursday I'm going to Nudi's for a long weekend. Should be fun. I like this short work week!

Today the weather was nice as well. I'm liking it.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Have a happy birthday this weekend kate...glad you got to see a garten or two :)