Saturday, September 03, 2005

What's that smell?

As I waited in line the other day to speak to the Hausmeister and Landlord, other students were also waiting b/c they are only there M-F from 3-5. It was quite interesting b/c there were some kids from far far away. Then in walks this nice African boy in a pleasant blue shirt and a pretty blue skirt. I must say, he wore it well.

He took his place in line behind me, but a safe distance back, until more people showed up. He was quite close at this point, when it suddenly hit me, oh dear goodness, what is that smell? Now I realize by this time I was no flower bed myself, but wow. However, life in Germany is just like that. I remember so many smelly moments from my last time here..... : D

I'm also still working on sleeping through the night. Since that didn't happen again, I spent the lovely hours between 1 and 4 this morning listening to a guy practice his guitar somewhere in the building. I can hear it faintly from my room, especially when I crack my window. I'm glad I'm not the only one not sleeping.

As for the trash/recycling, it wasn't fully explained to me and there are still questions. Although I have a wonderful view of all the recycling bins from my windows, I'm not sure what all they are. They're not even labeled. Come on now folks, lots of foreigners and no labels? It's not like we're German and pre-programmed to magically find a way and means to recycle everything. We need help, prodding, pretty pictures and nice big letters.

There are constantly airplanes flying over. Welcome to life next to an airbase. At the airport I saw some American military guys and almost asked them to give me a ride but then felt a bit guilty about it and decided not to. I'd still like to go see the base sometime, however, and not just listen to their aircraft. Why must they fly over so often?

1 comment:

Megan said...

Hey Kate :)...Like everybody else is saying i'm super happy for you getting there safely and with everything going well, just remember to learn how to recycle correctly or recyclemann will swoop down and get you you unrecycling american :)...miss you tons kate and good luck starting work!