Thursday, September 15, 2005

Figuring Things Out

Today I had more time to myself at school and fewer classes, I think mostly because people just didn't think to ask me to come, and after the last two very full days, I was no longer so adamant about asking to go. I do need to read three books soon, though.

I also went with the principal to one of his English classes (principals are required to teach as well here) and I took over the entire hour talking about American schools. Then he gave me all their workbooks to correct two homework assignments. I felt like such a teacher! hee hee.

I asked the principal if I could have Fridays off because they mentioned that at orientation and it's quite normal since we only have to work 12 hours a week and I'm commuting, but he made it quite clear that he didn't think it was a good idea. Darn it! So not only do I have to work every day for maybe 3 hours, but I felt like such a jerk for asking. But everyone else seems to have Fridays off and their teachers thought it was normal. Hmmm.

This afternoon I went around town trying to find the last of my art supplies, and I got everything but the Graphitstift 9B. Apparently every artsy store in the town is out! Oh well. Yeah, my art class last night went well, except I didn't understand all the artsy terms, and I think the teacher was losing patience with my blatant lack of ability. She eventually asked if she could help and took my pencil and started doing it for me. Oops. Hey, it IS a beginner course!!

While I was shopping for specific pencils and chocolate (got a craving for Rittersport, I hadn't had any yet!) I found some nice pink Hausschuhe ganz billig because my floor here is always so dirty that my socks turn black. Or my feet. Ew. No matter how often I sweep. Same thing happened in Tuebingen. Why is it so dirty here?

Speaking of dirt, the washer in my building is broken. I really need to do laundry and had signed up for tomorrow. We have ONE washer and dryer for over 200 people and it is broken. I gave in and washed socks and other necessaries in the sink and they are hanging in the middle of my room because there is nowhere else to put them. Sadly I forgot I'd invited Chuck for dinner and I can't hide my laundry. Lol.

Did I mention I got a bike? Or at least will have one soon. A teacher is giving it to me next week and I can already smell the freedom!

And when I shopped today I found the street with Mueller. It made me feel at home. Now I have a good grocery store, a Mueller, Post, Bank, H&M and C&A. Ahhhh. It just feels more homey.

That's enough of a book for today. Hope you all are well!

1 comment:

Megan said...

good job finding the great stores :)...keep having fun kate and I love the updates :)