Thursday, September 22, 2005

Beautiful Freedom

Hi guys! I got my bike today!! It's great. It is pink and white (how very appropriate). I am quite elated. I'll be off to the city after lunch to get a bike lock among other errands. What a happy day.

Now the fun story of how I got it. The teacher apparently didn't forget me, it was a misunderstanding. That happens sometimes when speaking a foreign language. Lol. But she took me with today after school and gave me the bike. Then we only had a few minutes to get to the Bahnhof (train station) before it left for my town. So she drove and I biked behind because her car is a bit small for a bike. i.e. it's a German car. hee hee. But I had to haul and I still couldn't keep up! Imagine: Kate in her work clothes and work shoes with her backpack on, pedalling like a madwoman after a German in a car. Yep, that was me. And I forgot to roll up my pant legs as well. lol. What a foreigner!

When we got to the Bahnhof I was so out of breath and my body was loudly reminding me that it's been awhile since it's done that. Yikes. She was like, "oh, did I drive too quickly?" and I answered, "of" breathe "course" breathe "not" breathe. I don't think she believed me. lol. Then I got to carry my bike on the train, then off the train, and down the stairs and back up the stairs of the station. Lol. That was fun. And when I left the station I forgot if I'm supposed to ride/drive on the street or if I'm allowed to go on the sidewalk. I'll have to ask. I did try a bit on the road. Kinda scary. I had to turn left and this bus was coming up behind me and whew! I've missed such fun!

I also taught my principal's English class today, without much preparation. He didn't really tell me what to do so I just went for it. Then he critiqued. Wow. A bit stressful but also quite helpful. It's time to jump in with both feet! I guess that is what I'm here for, so ok. It's something new and challenging.

Must go eat now. Hope you all are well. The weather today is better. (although this morning it was just above freezing. no over-exaggerating).

Oh, yesterday we were at the Uni and were there for hours only to find out that no, I still cannot get my visa or my student id card and the times I can come back are of course when I'm working. lol. German bureaucracy. It's a unique creature. Fickle. Green. A bit slimy. A poly sci teacher offered to help me, though, so maybe that will work.

Hope you're all well! : )

3 comments:

Kay Tee Ramone said...

You know what would have made that bike ride better? An aussie chick on the back... so many memories. not to mention all the red tape you have to cut through at the start of your trip and then put back together at the end. But it's all worth it for the pretzels!

Megan said...

it's also worth it for the cheesy goodies at the bakeries...don't forget those :)

Megan said...

sorry about the triple posting there, my computer farted, very sad