Thursday, January 10, 2008

Making Nice with the Enemy

Megan, you're right, I always bother Dad to update and here I haven't updated in days! Mostly because I've been busy with my Referat. And going out. hee hee.

Sunday, Andrew and I went to an Ethiopian restaurant and ate with our hands and it was fabulous! (we also noticed an Afghani restaurant right near campus, which I have to go to sometime! Dad, I thought you'd appreciate that.) Then we saw Little Children. Weird. Odd. Twisted. Disturbing. Sort of reminded me of American Beauty.

Tuesday was the Fulbright Stammtisch. Quite nice. Met some interesting people.

Wednesday in between Referat workage, I met Melanie for lunch by the canal. Very lovely.

And today has been spent working on my Referat again. I am giving it tomorrow evening during our "Block Seminar" of four hours, hopefully not more! My professor is quite harsh and strict, so it will be interesting to see if he tears mine apart. I'm sure he will.

Oh! And last night Juan and I went salsa dancing at La Macumba. So much fun! I missed my KC salsa people, though. I can't wait to go dancing when I get home! (after I see people first, of course!)

This weekend I plan to work on papers and projects, start studying for a final, and Melanie and I are cooking dinner Saturday night. I want to get over to Andrew's finally to see his host family's dog! And he lives near a castle. Fun stuff.

As per the title of the blog, I have been having a serious gnat/fruit fly problem. There are so many in my room (and the apartment) and every time I sit at the computer they constantly fly around my head. I spend hours daily at the computer, so I am about done with this game. Auntie said trying to spray my plants with dish soap water, which I did, and I have taken the method of trying to kill each one I see, which doesn't always work. But since I have to luft daily, more come in.

My new and frightening method is to let the spiders live. I know, you're thinking, did I suddenly start reading someone else's blog? Kate HATES spiders. Yes, I am horribly terrified of them. And I would not, under normal circumstances, invite them into my room. But I have decided to let the now growing spiderwebs continue in my room. No vacuuming them up. I'm hoping they eat the darn gnats. We will see how long I can let it go because I can't sleep at night and have to rid my room of the creepy crawlies. If anyone else has any other advice, PLEASE give it.

Another fun development. So here we text people because calling is too expensive, and should you make the mistake of texting someone's landline, it calls you and in a monotonistic and robotic voice relays said message. Tonight I had the great joy of getting such a call from Emma's phone with both the expression "yo" and "yay" in it. I about fell over laughing. Needless to say, I listened to it more than once.

Sadly, there has been absolutely no progress in the washing machine saga. Angelina ran it once as a trial and water went all over the floor and that was it. Currently she can't afford a new one, but to my knowledge, she has yet to call a repairman. On the bright side, there was sun today. I can't tell you how overwhelmingly happy that made me! I'm really looking forward to my trip home in just one month! I can't wait to see everyone, enjoy the weather, and go salsa dancing!

4 comments:

Megan said...

I wish you could have recorded the voice saying yo and yay, I bet that was pretty spectacular :D And good job updating your blog :)

Megan said...

And I updated superowmenrunners.blogspot.com if you want to see where to get training plans to walk a half marathon! You should totally do it!

Mary said...

I agree with Megan, you should do it Kate.

Unknown said...

Just remember, if one of those little things flies into your mouth,,,swallow quickly,,,,the acid in your stomach will kill it! hehehe