Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Offended?

My roommate has asked me to leave the apartment this weekend so that her boyfriend can come stay. She has offered to cut some of the rent off of this month. Should I be offended?

Yes, I do have some friends here, but it's a bit much to ask to be put up for an entire weekend.

Furthermore, I have a big paper I need to be working on, which will be a bit difficult in someone else's place.

Hmmm. We will see. I have to admit, I am a bit shocked by her rather boldness about asking me to leave my own current residence. Your opinion?

5 comments:

Megan said...

If I were you I would try to reach a compromise, maybe choose a few hours each day she can have the apartment to herself and her boyfriend? I understand wanting some alone time, but asking you to leave for the whole weekend? And not giving you much notice? That seems a bit much, but it seems like you you meet her somewhere in the middle.

Mary said...

It is a tough call Kate, if you insist on staying you may have long term resentment, but if you go for the entire weekend you may lose the good will of friends and a lot of work time. Is there a chance to negotiate some time away with the time you need to work at the apartment?

Mary said...

Well it looks like Megan from work and me from home think along the same lines! Good luck with your decision. It is a bright SUNNY day here, will think of you and your choices on my waj.

Kate said...

Did I mention she was just at her boyfriend's place Friday through yesterday? Then gives me two days (not even) notice to spend the weekend elsewhere?

I do like your ideas of a compromise. I will try that, IF my friends will put me up. I can't force myself on people. lol.

Unknown said...

I know a very nice hotel, rather close to your apartment, I think I stayed there for eleven nights once.... Tell her she can pay for the room, whatever it costs, plus the internet hookups that you are already entitled to in your room!

Still, I agree with Megan and Mary, and I know you have such a big heart, that you'll forgive her for her 'trespasses'.