Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Microfinancing in German

I'm preparing for Exam Time, and tonight's lovely choice reading is microfinancing in poor countries, and how that can help to reduce poverty. Try reading that in German. Fun stuff boy howdy.

For fun I've borrowed Emma's book, The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford who writes for one of my favorite newspapers, The Financial Times. Dan, I thought you would appreciate that!

As far as hand-washing my laundry. Um, it doesn't smell so great and is still wet. So I will nix that plan from now on.

There was real sun today and I once again realized how much I desperately miss real sun on a daily basis. Or at least a weekly basis. It may be above freezing here (just barely) but I would take really cold with sun over this. Of course, the whole studying abroad thing is pretty darn cool, so I guess concessions will be made.

I had a very interesting class today (after a terribly boring one) where we discussed the deconstruction of gender and sexuality, and there was even some Foucault involved. Oh dear, how I dread reading Foucault! But it was such a lively discussion that we ran way over time and finally the prof had to make us stop. Lol!

Last night I met up with Chris and Emma and they invited me over for dinner. They cooked some delicious Indian food and I lounged on the sofa with a book like a bum. It was fabulous. I miss having a couch.

Oh, and today was definitely the most squished I've been in public transit so far! Coming home from Uni I took the Number 5, which everyone knows is the fullest bus around, and it has three cars, so the longest in the world as well, and it was packed. I squeezed in. Then several more people squeezed in. I was so packed in that I couldn't move and couldn't hold on to anything, but it didn't matter because I wasn't moving anyway. At that point I was really glad it was cold out and not hot, because then it would have been unbearably smelly. Ah, the little joys in life.

: )

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Smelly? Did you say Smelly? Darling daughter, come over here before you declare anything Smelly! lol

Unknown said...

Hey Toni! I do it everytime I leave here!!!! It's just easier to pack the stuff home. Besides, they changed company's that do the laundry here, the soap changed, and I found myself to be allergic to the new soap. As if life wasn't fun enough already!!!

Megan said...

Can you post a picture of the three car bus? :)