Thursday, January 31, 2008

Afghani Food


So Dad, is this what restaurants over there look like? Just kidding. But I did meet Andrew and Paul for lunch at this Afghani restaurant today. And I must say, the food is delicious! I should have taken a picture of the food as well. Maybe next time.
We met Paul through the Fulbright meetings. He is a professor who got to bring his family over here for several months while he writes a book. We all had a wonderful discussion about the military (he used to be a Ranger and was in the Gulf War), politics, people (especially in America) who are completely unaware of the wide world, religion, and all kinds of other fun things. It was a fabulous lunch!
He also told us about being stationed in Germany before and during the fall of the wall. He and his wife drove up to Berlin that day and took part of it, and almost didn't take the piece because it was big and heavy, but later were really glad they had! It is always so fascinating to hear about things like that, from people who remember what it was like to go from Western Germany to Eastern, then into West Berlin and into East Berlin. Wow.
Right before it I had my final exam, and while I think I didn't fail it, I don't think I passed with flying colors. It was a bit random, because we weren't told at all what would be on it or the structure, we just had to review the readings and notes for the semester. Oddly enough, one of the questions was a map of the world where I had to locate 1. Haiti, 2. Peru, 3. South Africa, 4. the Phillipines, 5. Bangladesh, and 6. Egypt. I felt like I was back in third grade. Only the sad part is I only knew half of them. And I had the Phillipines right at first, then scratched it out. Sadness. I knew Bangladesh bordered India, but I wasn't sure which one it was. Lol. So I guess my world geography needs some work.
Just one more Hausarbeit to write and then the work for this semester will be done. I still have classes next week, as well.
Did I mention that Eric and Nayoen invited us for some homemade Korean food on Saturday evening? I'm so excited! Mmmm.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Glad you had a good day and your work for the semester is almost over. Good job getting through all of it!

Unknown said...

First off, NO, that is not what a restaurant in Kabul looks like! When the Afghani's bring there meals in each afternoon and evening, it smells wonderful. However, I don't believe my system could handle it.

Did you eat with your hands? Did they have the flat bread? Most of their meals, here, are a sort of stew, with rice, veggies, and the flat bread (can't remember what it's called!).

Unknown said...

The HINDU KUSH is the mountain range that runs through the center of Afghanistan. those people just played the letters a little off.