Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sauna

Last night Melanie and I spent the evening at the Meridian Spa (http://www.meridianspa.de/ you can click on pics) and it was so great and very relaxing! We did three different ones, though they have more than that. We did an eukalyptus one, then a really hot one that was 206 degrees Fahrenheit, (97C) where a staff member comes in and pours scented oil on the rocks and then waves a towel around and makes it really really really hot. They only do it for five minutes because the staff member would get tired and it's really extremely hot. The last one we did was supposed to be coconut, but it really didn't smell like it.

The place is absolutely beautiful, and you have a pool, various saunas, whirlpools, lounges inside and outside to relax in between saunas, an outside Japanese garden, and in the rest of the facility they have a workout area, restaurant, and salsa club on Friday nights. Very cool.

The only thing that was a bit odd if you're American or British is the fact that everyone is completely naked. So you're walking around naked, sitting in whirlpools and swimming with complete strangers. Now, I have been to a very small sauna in a hotel once in Berlin, but this is a very large one and it was quite full last night, so I have to say this was definitely a new experience for me! But it was definitely extremely relaxing and you feel so great and healthy afterwards! I love the heat since I never really get heat here unless I sit by my heater.

I'd love to have a membership at such a place, but it's way too expensive for a student. Still, it was great to try and maybe I can find a cheaper sauna when I get home....

Today I'm meeting up with one of my classes to go visit a mosque. And then Emma and I are cooking dinner since she has lots of vegies left and doesn't want them to go bad. Throw in some studying and you have my weekend!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gee, why does this sorta remind me of you and I being 'thrown' out of the hotel sauna, because we won't go in there naked? Your German people are weird, Kate!

Megan said...

That definitely sounds like an interesting experience. You must be turning european to have gone through with it :)