Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"Not the season"

I went to the hardware store and I asked a lady working there if they had any fly paper. She said no, "it's not the season". What the heck does that mean? Nothing ever dies here, so why isn't it always the season? I asked her if anywhere would have anything to kill bugs with. No. Lovely. So I tried another route. "Well then, what does one do when one has an infestation of flies in one's house?" I asked a bit irritated. Her answer? Put out water with honey or sugar in it. Are you serious?

So I came home a bit annoyed. Is it possible to make your own fly paper? I put out one bowl of honey water and one bowl of sugar water. So far, zero flies have been fooled. They do, however, continue to fly around my head. Oh joy.

5 comments:

Megan said...

That is absolutely spectacular. I think a photo of the bowls of water is aboslutely necessary :D

Unknown said...

Try vinegar, no wait, that's for cleaning your coffee pot. Try mouse traps, no wait, wrong pest. Try icemelt, no wait, that's for the driveway. Try bottles of beer, no wait, again, wrong pests!

Mary said...

If Germany has hedgeapples they will drive insects away.

Toni said...

Try a bowl of beer, whiskey or vodka. I forget which one is supposed to work.

L Boyd said...

I heard vinegar will work with fruit flies but not sure about regular flies.

L Boyd