Wednesday, November 28, 2007

: (

I spent four hours at the hospital today, and they did tons of tests on my eyes. I also saw a couple of doctors, and while at first they had said I wouldn't be seeing the main doc, apparently I was too complicated of a case and they went ahead and brought him in.

His bottom line was no more surgery, period. Only glasses or contacts. He said if it had been the weaker eye that had had these problems, then it would have been ok and my brain would have just adjusted, but since the dominant eye is the bad one now, it is too difficult. He also thought my left eye was a bit weak (not 20/20) but honestly I don't care because it is good enough.

I wasn't happy with his diagnosis. Plus, they couldn't write a prescription then, and said I have to wait and go back again next Thursday, then it will take another week or so to get the glasses. Dear goodness, I just want to be able to see well! Argh.

So I was pretty depressed and came home and didn't go to the Latin America evening. I emailed Monica and her wonderful rational self cheered me up a bit. He's not the only doctor, and the American docs are better and more advanced, and he is the THIRD doc I've seen recently, so I shouldn't take it as set in stone. Still, I'm just going to hang in my room tonight and get over my bumming. Then I can be all cheery again tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Kiddo, keep your chin up! At least you're not visiting Third World doctors!

Czech doctor:
"Seet down, vat is problem? Aaaah, yeees, you av tummy probleem. You poo? Okay, Okay, you take two dees pills, and go poo, you be better."

Anxious American in Afghan who is in major flipping pain and can't speak Czech:
"So,,,,everything will be better if I poo?"

Czeck doctor nods vigorously.
"Yes, yes, that what I tell you."

Anxious, and now very concerned American with broken arm replies:

"Are you sure taking a poo will fix my arm?"

Czeck doctor, who hadn't noticed bone protruding from Anxious American's forearm.

"Okay, yes, no probleem. Who next?"

Megan said...

Kate, I am so sorry. On the bright side you do have one good eye, you can still see, and Monica is right, you can get other opinions on it and decide what to do once your eye has healed from the intial surgeries.