Thursday, November 15, 2007

First Snow

It snowed! I was on my way back to Uni yesterday and some darker clouds rolled in and I was just praying I would make it to campus before the downpour. But then, as I was driving my bike in the street like a crazy German, I felt wetness on my face and looked down at my big black coat. However, there were little pieces of sleet/icey rain mix sitting on it. Much more fun than rain! You get less wet.

Then, after my tandem partner meeting, I was walking with Camille and I looked up at a light and there were nice sized snowflakes falling. I made us stop to admire the first snowfall of the year. It didn't accumulate at all, but it was quite nice to see. However, riding your bike in the literally freezing weather is a bit chilly. Whew!

I made it to the Piasta meeting a bit late (info for international students) and while I didn't need to know about the student fees, I did meet some other Americans. There's Luz from Peru, Wallace from the south of Brazil, Maurizio from Colombia, and Julia, who is also from Colombia. They were all headed back to the train, but I had my bike, so I said bye and went to the wc before leaving. However, when I came back upstairs I thought I heard them outside the main door. I walked out and one of them grabbed my arm and said, "come on! Wallace wants to sing us a song and we're going to let him outside." They'd been waiting. Oh! Very nice.

So we step out into the freezing weather, and stand in a circle as Wallace sings us a traditional song from southern Brazil. It was a really beautiful song, though I didn't understand a word. It sounded almost like a lullaby. Everytime he sang a large white cloud come out since it was so cold. But it was really great to listen to. When we were done being serenaded, we parted ways and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them again next Wednesday evening.

Tuesday night Andrew and I went salsa dancing. He has had some dancing in the past, but it's been awhile. We tried to make it to the beginner class but didn't, so we jumped in in the intermediate one. Lol. Talk about trying to keep up! We didn't do so well, but it was fun trying. I still don't know many of the people in the salsa scene here, but I suppose the only way to get to know them is plunge in head first, go dancing, and talk to people.

I've still not applied for my visa. Maybe next week?

1 comment:

Megan said...

Sounds like you're meeting people, I'm glad :) How are your other classes coming? Is it cold enough there that the snow will stick once winter really sets in?