Monday, November 05, 2007

Lazy Bums

That reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbes book, Lazy Summer Days. Who doesn't love Calvin and Hobbes? : )

Dad and I have been proper bums lately. Sunday we slept in, ate, then went for a walk around the Alster. With everyone else in Hamburg, apparently! lol. Quite fun. Then we walked to the Uni, I showed Dad around a bit, we got a hot chocolate, then Emma and Chris called. We then walked down to the Rathaus (town hall) and by this time had walked almost 2 hours (so I guess not entirely lazy). Dad, what on earth was he thinking!, had shown up at my place with no coat. Um, really? Seriously? So I had to take my apart (it has two layers) and give him one. I told Emma he needed a light coat, and could we try a shop. She looked at me like, Dear, remember it's Sunday and you're in Germany and the only thing open is a bar? But I told her I saw shops open, much to my surprise as well. She didn't believe me at first, until we saw people in a shop.

It was madness! Shops open on Sunday! Ahhhhh! What I call the big mall, Emma insists the architects cringe at the word (she teaches them English) and they say it is a ,,Passage" like passageway in English. Um, right. Big mall.

Anyhow, we got Dad a coat, then got some yummy German food, then headed to the Alex Pavillion right on the water to have some beverages and watch some salsa dancing. Sadly I'd not brought my shoes b/c, six hours before that, Dad and I only thought we were going for a quaint little stroll around part of the lake. lol.

It's hard to watch salsa dancing and not partake. I felt like a child that someone had placed a delicious plate of sweets in front of and said, now don't eat those! So terribly sad.

Today I went to Uni early to get a reader for my Anti-Bias class, only I couldn't find it. Naturally I have readings due tomorrow that I now have not done. I feel slightly bad about that, but I did make an honest effort to find the material. I spent a good portion of the day reading. Fun reading, though, very interesting.

Then I met up with Dad (after class), and we had dinner, then hung out at the hotel. Whirlpool, sauna, ice cream room service, and Sweet Home Alabama. Of course, it was in German, so I translated some for Dad, and then just let him make it up for himself. At least one of us understood it.

And when I left for the bus stop, can you guess the weather? Did you say downpour? Well then you're right! I actually have my window cracked right now and am listening to it come down. Ahhh Hamburg. The city that never quite dries....

4 comments:

Marine momma said...

Hi Kate!! Aunt Shirley here. I love the pics! I am so glad you and your dad are together and having a great time. I hope to see you on my blog soon. all of us blogging is so fun. Well, not much to say, just wanted to say hi to you. You be good. Love you, Shirley

Unknown said...

The movie ends the same way, no matter what language it's in! lol

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

Hmmmm, have to try posting again :) I am getting envious of your travels. And I know you're probably tired of the rain, but it sounds nice :)