Sunday, November 18, 2007

Luc's Visit


Here are some pics from Luc's visit this weekend. The first one is me and the harbor near the Speicherstadt area, where there used to be and still is much trade. Lots of nice brick buildings, but I'm facing the area towards town so you can't see them! lol.






This is the ferry boat that we took up the Elbe. It's just like a bus, except it's on water! Very cool. There are even Haltestellen (like bus stops) for it along the water. I laughed so hard.


See? It even has a digital sign on it like the busses, which tells you where it is going and where it stops. And what it's number is so you can check the timetable. How efficient.


This was the first night Luc was here and we tried to eat at Sausalitos because they have delicious fajitas, but as usual, it was all "reserved", although about ten tables were completely empty. And the service was appalling, so we found this nice Meditarrean place (after being told Dos Amigos was also "reserved". Argh.).


Here you can see us waiting for the U3. Ahhh, public transportation.




And finally another picture of us entering the Speicherstadt on one of the lovely bridges. I like this one because it's pedestrians only, and it's all this old wood pieced together and it's a bit long. Very cool.



Later on last night, Emma and Luc went to a party of a friend of Emma's, so Chris and I met up with Eric and Niyon (sp? I don't spell Korean well...). We tried a couple of places there were full, and ended up in St. Pauli and the Reperbahn area unintentionally. Chris and Emma aren't really fans of the area, but the rest of us hadn't seen it (or so I thought!) so we strolled down for a few minutes.

The place was packed! This large street, wall to wall with people. Bright lights everywhere. And lots of hookers. But, they looked all clean and wore lots of clothing, like big coats. (probably because it's freezing out?). And I realized that Dad and I had actually walked down this street after getting my new nose ring, and we hadn't even known it was the Reperbahn! lol.

We got some Turkish food (mmmmm!), then headed back to the U-Bahn because it was quite late. And there were soooooooo many people getting off the train at that stop and the trains were packed. More packed than rushhour. Unbelieveable! I made it back to the main train station, came up through an entrance I'd never seen before, got a bit lost, then found my way. And as I was headed on my way, I saw my bus come around the corner. Knowing it wouldn't come again for awhile and it was already 1:30 in the morning, I did what any good German would do and removed my hat, held onto my purse, and ran like mad. I made the bus. Oh yeah.

Tonight we are considering trying to get tickets to the Lion King. It playls year-round here, all translated into German. What were they thinking?! How can you honestly enjoy Hakuna Matata in German? How does one translate it? I'm appalled. And willing to stand outside and try to obtain very cheap tickets last minute.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool! You know what? JJ was telling about that area and the hookers in the windows and all that stuff. We didn't see any of that, did we? Of course, our rude driver was trying to run people over and was lost. lol

And, I see you finally found someone to ride the River Bus with you! You go girl!

Megan said...

You'll have to let us know how the Lion King goes when you go to see it. Do they manage to make the verses rhyme?

And, do you have any plans for a thanksgiving there? Just curious :)