Friday, November 23, 2007

I am teachable! Yay!

Arabic went much better today. I admit, I didn't really study it much (or at all) during the week, but today's class started to make a lot more sense. We went over the alphabet more, and I am starting to understand how it works. I don't know which sounds go with which squiggles yet, but at least I understanding how there are four different writings of each consonant and how the letters connect in words, and how some aren't allowed to connect. lol. It's way different than any other language I've learned before, which makes it very challenging and interesting.

I have a Block Seminar this weekend, which means I will be in class tomorrow from just before ten until five. Allllll day. I have three (no wait, I think four) of these, for three different classes, because they feel the regularly allotted time is not enough for the seminars. Personally, I don't see the point in wasting my weekends, but alas, I suppose I ought to try and pass a few of the classes I'm taking!

Tonight I'm going to a movie. And it is in ENGLISH with German subtitles. A new friend of mine, Melanie, spent a year in Iowa and Dad and I met her while grocery shopping. She is quite nice and just finished a 520-page Master's thesis and needs a night out on the town. So we're going for drinks and a movie to celebrate. Sounds like occasion enough to me!

I had my creative writing class yesterday and it was good. I wasn't very creative, but I did write a ton in the time allowed and I think it is excellent practice.

I'm taking a break from reading about all the ways different cultures can come to misunderstandings. I have a Referat about Intercultural Misunderstandings. And while the article the teacher provided me with had more to do with that topic in the setting of intercultural research, I find that a bit boring so I'm going ot broaden the topic a bit. : )

It was warm again today, 45 degrees! But really windy.

I can't believe I have class tomorrow. Ugh.

Hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Kate, you may enjoy Glenn and my early morning adventure. Ben said he wants a laptop, we said it is our of our price range and to make a new list :) Last night I read the paper, found Circuit City had a GREAT deal on a few laptops for the early birds, at 5am. I set my alarm for 3:45, Glenn decided he would go too. We grabbed heavy coats, got to the store about 4:05 to find hundreds of people in line. We waited about 10 minutes, everyone around us was talking about the laptop sale. A store employee came by and told us, (a) the police would disband the line if it got longer and asked we encourage more people to snake through the parking lot, (b) at 5am the first 50 people would be let into the store, (c) at 5:10 the next 150 people would be let in, at 5:15 the next 150 people would be let in, (d) people would have to leave the store before other groups would be left in. We went home and were in bed by 4:30. Ben will not get his laptop this year :)

Unknown said...

Wow, I don't know which was more interesting....your blog or Mary's computer adventure!

Mary, you can't be serious? Heavy coats? I thought you lived in Sunny California? lol

Sprout: now I know why you didn't answer your phone when I called you! I'll try again this evening.

Love you!

Afghani Dannny

Lorna said...

Kate, I am thankful for many things and each year my list grows. I am thankful for my health, husband, family, kids, grandchildren, friends, the sun rising each day, no war in my country, not triping over imaginary lint and this year I am also thankful for another grandchild on its way, my mother finding the second love of her life and my brother living to see another thanksgiving.

Megan said...

How are you going to broaden the topic? I bed it will be interesting and even more interesting since you get to talk in German :) Good to hear you are doing well, enjoy your night on the town!