Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Rugs and Bikes

Today Dad and I were quite busy. We went all around town in the pouring rain, getting some readings for a class of mine, and while at the copy shop I accidentally grabbed someone else's umbrella and had to go back and return it. They thought the white polka dotted one was mine, but it wasn't. Apparently I wasn't the only one with umbrella confusion today!

Before that, we got me a lovely Nepalese wool rug made in Afghanistan. We seem to be running into our fair share of Aghanis. Interesting. It was a rug shop with owners from Kabul with very, very beautiful rugs. The pretty ones we looked at first were waaaaaaaaaaay too expensive, so he showed us the cheaper ones. Still nice, and he gave us a deal on mine and it's quite large and tan and thick and waaaaay better than the floor and dead animal I had on it. lol. But we talked to the guy, and he hadn't been back to Kabul in 28 years. He said he'd tried a few times, but left it at that. Dad remarked, "well, you must have gotten out before things went bad, huh?" But he didn't answer. Hm.

On campus, at the same shop I fixed up Angelina's old bike, we bought a used bike. It's a bit big for me, I have to stretch to reach the handle bars, but it's nice. Maroon, with a bell and lights and we put a basket on it, and a kickstand and 3 gears (though I think only two work), and shocks on the seat! Talk about luxury! I'm very, very excited. We also got a nice chain. People steal bikes a lot here, it's quite a market.

Dad also set up my printer, and we rearranged my room a bit. I think I'm going to make him broke before he leaves! Ahhhh! On his blog he wrote we were, "getting things for Kate that she needs but won't purchase". Yeah, well, what can I say? I'm a bit more frugal most of the time. I mean, who really needs a soft, warm floor, or a reliable means of transportation, or a decent pillow that supports your head at night? Ok, well, most people would probably like those things.....I'm actually quite grateful b/c he's right, I would not have purchased them myself. I'm quite enjoying the rug and definitely looking forward to many adventures with the bike. Or maybe not. Maybe if they don't involve running people over. I felt like a kid learning how to ride their bike today, and then Dad came up behind me and pushed me along, just like I was six again. I laughed so hard. It does help, though. Maybe I could get someone to push my along. Hmmmmm.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Once again I say "I knew I had a purpose in life!"