Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Grandma got run over by a reindeer

Ok, well there was no grandma, and no reindeer, just me and the trash man. But someone definitely got run over! I feel really bad.

It has been raining tons, and I thought there was a break, so I started to take my bike to Uni, and halfway down the road the wind picked up, whipped a tornado of big, yellow leaves in my face, and then the rain started pouring down. I made it to the end of my street, soaked, defeated, sighed, and turned around, sure I was going to be late. I was biking back, on the sidewalk b/c I was going the wrong way on a one way street and the weather was attacking, and I saw the garbage man.

He was turning to go right, so I swerved to the right. Then, last minute, he suddenly turns and goes left! Just like a fake out in some sport. Ok, not that dramatic, but it sounds better, right? Anyhow, I went as left as I could, but there was a car. I tried to stop, but my brakes didn't do much. So what happened then, Kate, you ask?

I ran into him. Head on. SMACK!! Right into the man. Oh dear. I said a swear word. Then a sorry. He said I should have used my bell. Well, he should have picked a direction! Plus, I was just trying to get out of the way. Good thing he was a bigger man. He seemed ok. Man did I feel lousy.

Just as I hit him I remembered Chris saying, are you going to get bike insurance in case you hit someone? And myself laughing. Hm. Maybe he had a point. Hate it when that happens.

Nothing else from today tops that story, no matter how I try. So it's good night for now.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Guess you have to watch out for those wild American women! LOL

Megan said...

This is spectacular Kate, really quite good. Actually I think it's so good it just made my morning :) I'm sure everything will be okay though and I hope you're okay.