Sunday, October 28, 2007

Deck the Halls

If only it were that easy to find Spaetzle here! The southern German foods like Spaetzle (a favorite of mine!) and Maultaschen don't really exist here. I find it sad.

Yesterday I had planned on studying a bunch, and I only got through a small amount of reading. I forgot that it's going to take me longer to read academic articles in German. lol. I got a bit frustrated, and after I finished one, I took my Colbert book to the park and read in the very gray, cold weather.

Andrew (FB) sms ed me and said he was going to an art fair in town in the evening and did I want to come? Aparently several galleries and shops were staying open until midnight. Sounded like fun to me! So I traveled on all sorts of public transit (bike to Underground, switched trains, then there was construction so I had to exit the train and find the bus that was temporary transportation due to the construction), but I finally got there. We walked around and only looked at two galleries. One was pretty pathetic, I think, and the other had some interesting art and some I could do without. There was this room that had all sorts of interesting scaffolding and we were told to come and sit down so we could be photographed. So we sat and watched the funny videos they had playing and looked at the several books of just colors. Bound books and each page was a color and that was it. We picked one up and started flipping through it, when a German came over and said those were not to be touched. Seriously? It wasn't really that special. lol.

Afterwards we checked out some of the shops in town, then a greasy food craving hit and we searched for fries. However, we got distracted b/c they had already set up a Christmas market! So we got Gluehwein (glowing, warm wine) and looked at the huge pile of snow they had created for some slide thing. Some Germans were dancing to traditional music and we were tempted to join, but decided the fries were more important. Sadly, the shops were closing by then and the German place we wanted said they weren't serving, and the only place left was McDonald's. And you know what? It was crazy packed. lol. I think the Germans like it more than we do!

It was definitely a fun evening out. Today the goal is really to study, but I guess I have to since class is tomorrow. And Dad comes on Wednesday! Juhu! I think about now he's either on his way or already in Dubai, relaxing poolside. Can I come? : )

1 comment:

Megan said...

Enjoy the holidays there and enjoy the festivities for those of us who can't :D